Lotus Notes is a popular email client used across the globe by millions of users. Lotus Notes uses NSF format to store its mailbox data including emails, notes, calendars, contacts, tasks, etc. Passwords are very important for users to save their confidential data from unauthorized access. So, users protect NSF files with password.
Whenever users find need to change Lotus Notes password, they face issues in it. Especially when users forget their password and they have to change/reset the password. This blog will help you to recover from this situation so that users can get back access to their data. If you need to change password of Lotus Notes or reset password of NSF file then this guide is for you. Let us start with some basics of Lotus Notes and NSF file.
Related Post : Lotus Notes to Outlook Converter
IBM Lotus Notes is a client-server email client that offers a platform for users where Lotus Notes is the client and Domino is the server. Lotus Notes offers easy to use interface, easy access of data including emails, contacts, notes, tasks, calendars, etc.
NSF or Notes Storage Format is a file format used by Lotus Notes to save all email messages, attachments, contact list, calendars, and more. Users believe to set password to NSF file if they have some confidential data saved in the file.
Methods to Change Lotus Notes Password or Reset NSF File Password
Lotus Notes creates a client id for all users which is saved in default file saving location of Lotus Notes. Whenever users run Lotus Notes application, the login dialog box prompts. Here, you have to fill the login credentials to access NSF file data. In case you forgot the password, you have to reset the password of Lotus Notes file. To reset the password, there are 2 methods.
- Using IBM Notes email client
- Using Domino Administrator
Method 1. Change Lotus Notes Password Using IBM Notes Client
If you want to change password of Lotus Notes using IBM Notes, you have to follow these instructions:
- Launch Lotus Notes email client. Provide the login information for accessing Notes NSF file.
- Go to menu bar, click on File menu and then go to User Security
Note: When you choose User Security option, a pop up for providing login details will appear.
- In User Security wizard, enter your login and password setting and hit Change password
- Now, insert the password by which you logged in earlier. On change password wizard, enter the new password in Enter New Password field and re-enter the new password to confirm it.
Note: If you choose No Password button, you are able to remove password from Lotus Notes client.
- Finally, hit Ok button in change password window. Again click OK
This is how the password has been changed successfully. Now, you can access NSF data by using newly created password.
Method 2. Change Password of Lotus Notes Using Domino Administrator
Using Domino Administrator, you can change the password of Lotus Notes by following the given steps:
- Launch Lotus Notes email client on your system. Now, provide login id and password.
- When you enter a wrong password, Recovery Windows will open. Click on Password Recovery
- Select Lotus Notes id file to reset NSF file password.
- Choose Recovery Administrator entities from the list and call them to help you with Recovery Password.
- Give 16 characters long Recovery password provided by administrator in Enter password.
Note: Once you provide correct recovery password, this will unlock your id file for completing resetting Lotus Notes password process.
- Enter the new password and confirm it. Then, click on the OK
Hopefully, with the above methods, your issue has been resolved. But there are chances that you may be unable to recover from this password problem. In this situation, you need to access NSF file on some other platforms. You can do this with NSF to PST Converter Tool. This tool will migrate NSF file to Outlook in few clicks. This utility performs the conversion without hampering data originality and integrity. After this, you will be able to access NSF file data without any hurdles.
Users can unlock or change Lotus Notes password with the methods discussed above. These methods are efficient to resolve Lotus Notes password reset or change NSF file password issue. Using first two methods, if you are unable to recover password of Lotus Notes, it is recommended to go with the mentioned tool. This will help you to access NSF file through Outlook environment.