Office 365 users both end users and administrators usually don’t backup Office 365 mailbox data as they believe the data is secure in the cloud. But it is suggested to backup Office 365 emails and other items. You can take Office 365 Backup using its in-built features. In addition to this, many Office 365 Backup Tools are available to export Office 365 mailboxes.
Causes to backup Office 365 account data
Accidental data deletion
You can easily retrieve lost data from deleted items folder. If any item is deleted from Office 365 account you can find the data from the list.
External Malware threats
The situation becomes worse if any malware delete your emails and you are unaware that any message gets deleted from your account.
Service Outage for Office 365
A service failure can create inconvenience. For instance, you need to access some important emails of Office 365 account but it won’t open. If you have backup of those emails, you can read them at any time using other applications.
Switch from Office 365
Organizations can move from Office 365 to another environment due to many reasons. However, to move from old to new application does not mean that you delete your old data. In such case, you can backup O365 mailbox items and import them to their destination.
We have explained the need of Office 365 Backup. Now, let us focus how the task can be carried out. Generally, two methods are there to backup Office 365 mailboxes to PST file.
- Using manual method
- Professional Office 365 Backup Tool
Manual ways for backup Office 365 account
Using eDiscovery PST Export Tool
Steps for exporting Office 365 mailboxes to Outlook PST file
- Using login details, you can log in to Office 365. Select Security and Compliance Center from Office 365 Admin Center. Now, edit eDiscovery Manager Function category in Permissions.
- Now, users need to go for Search & Investigation from drop-down menu. Start a New Content Search wizard by click on Add (+) button. Enter a name and press Next.
- To export data, select search anywhere and check Exchange box. You may use Custom position selection option to choose individual mailboxes. You can also export from public folders by choosing the option scan all public folders.
- You can use filters such as time range, message types, etc. in the next stage. Click Start export in next window after click on search.
- After choosing desired export options, Click on Start export to commence the process. You can download the export results by click on Download export results in Content search dialogue window.
- Now, eDiscovery PST Export Tool will available. Copy the export key and paste it. Mention location where you want to save PST file.
- After that, the export will begin once you click on the Start button.
Limitations of manual methods to backup O365 mailboxes
In terms of time and reliability, the manual solutions have a number of drawbacks:
- eDiscovery method is too lengthy and complex to understand by non-technical users.
- Emails, schedule, and other items cannot be exported with manual solution.
- There is no filter option to backup selective Office 365 data.
- The manual solution is a suitable solution for users who have technical knowledge.
A smart way to take Office 365 emails backup
The best solution to take backup of Office 365 mailboxes is Sysessential Office 365 Backup Software. This software allows users to export Office 365 emails with attachments to a local computer in multiple file formats.
- It is the ultimate tool to backup O365 mailboxes to PST, EML, EMLX, MSG, and MBOX formats. The software is friendly to use and works speedily to take backup of O365 emails.
- The software is designed to work smoothly on all the latest & preview versions of Windows OS.
- Selective items backup from Office 365 account is taken by the software.
- The software offers a free trial version that allows few items backup.
- Users can smoothly backup complete Office 365 account without any hassles.
In this post, we have shown the process for backup Office 365 mailboxes to PST file formats in a few easy steps. If you are technically sound then use manual method. However, for novice users who want to export Office 365 data, professional O365 Backup Software is suggested to use.